Saturday, November 15, 2008


I’ve always wanted to do more with my life. I feel that moments are too precious to waste doing nothing or sitting in front of the TV moving through channels or watching silly things; not because I’ve nothing to do but because I don’t have enough will or energy to carry out what I should do. In a way to cease every moment, lately I bought a MP4 on which I recorded some BBC programs to enhance my English language as well as some other useful programs to listen to while walking to work everyday, while trapped in transports etc. but this isn’t the issue now. The issue is volunteer work. I’ve always wanted to get involved in such work. I find it really satisfying and rewarding; mentally, spiritually, and in all aspects. Though I believe in all of this I’ve never really took the step towards doing it. I may have registered in some committees, went to share in a group event once or twice but didn’t actually belong to some entity. Last week there was the monthly meeting of ElSawy Culture Wheel volunteers. The announcement just said “Do you have an idea, time, effort or experience?” I felt that this call was for me and decided to go and see. Now, I’m really glad that I did. I found people of different ages; starting form school children to retired adults. Many of them were just coming for the first time and others were part of the team. People began talking suggesting a lot of really good ideas for activities to be started at the culture wheel; ideas to enhance the wheel and at the same time to enhance the whole community through the wheel. I was really glad to be gathered with people of such awareness, positivism, and belief in change. Though I’m used to give presentations as a part of my study and work and my friends always say that I’m good at it, in such gatherings I usually don’t speak. A question may be asked that I know its answer, I may have a pressing question that really occupies my mind the whole time and still I don’t say a word. This time I wanted to ask about an activity they said they were going to make a while ago; a science club where interested people can meet to discuss different science-related topic. I wanted to know if they’ve already started such thing and if not to help in starting it. See, really very trivial. I hesitated till the very last minutes then I just thought that if I didn’t stand up and speak I’d really feel bad about myself and should gave up the whole idea of changing the things I don’t like about myself. And so I stood up and spoke (I even spoke in the microphone and didn’t find my voice strange or notice the wrong way in which I pronounce the ‘r’ letter). When I returned home, I marked my calendar with all the events I’d like to attend; seminars, art galleries, movies etc. I feel that I’d have a busy month. If I did discipline and attend all the events marked, it would be of huge benefit to me… I’m sure.





15/11/08

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:10 PM

    Great plog ... I really admire your english , and mostly your well-arranged thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot mohammad. Welcome as a new friend to the blog.

    ReplyDelete