Sunday, February 07, 2010

A step on the way

Yesterday, I had to ride the underground twice, once from Mohamed Nageeb station to Dokki and then from Gamal Abd ElNasser to ElSayeda Zeinab. And before you imagine the worst, this is not a bad story about things that happen in the underground, on the contrary it is a positive one :). I noticed that in the first three stations, a part of the ground near the tickets windows was surrounded by a low fence, supplied with carpets, and used as a praying area. I liked the action very much because whenever I've a long day and had to do all my prayers out I always find so much trouble with that, because I may not find a near by mosque and if I went to a far one I'll miss my appointment etc. Of course this positive solution hasn't solved by problem because there isn't a closed area for ladies, but who knows may be it is a step on the way. I just hope that they, latter on, won't find it an uncivilized view and disassemble it.

1 comment:

  1. What I now do to be able to catch prayers in time is that I find any place where my back will be to a wall or a barrier and just pray. I also have the courage now to ask people in any place to provide a prayer place for me, even in 5 star hotels where sometimes I feel I am the only one praying there! I went to an entertainment city recently with my kids and when it was time for prayer, I just asked one of the workers where I can pray and he said there is a dedicated place for prayer for men only and that’s stupid because men can pray any where! Anyway, the man was kind enough to move some advertising boards around to provide coverage for me while I pray.

    ReplyDelete